Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Illinois Boy Finds Rare, Blue-Eyed Cicada

DOWNERS GROVE, Ill. -- Those pesky little bugs, cicadas, have been making their return in recent weeks in parts of the Midwest. They pop out of the ground like clockwork every 17 years. Looking something like angry versions of crickets, cicadas are known for their bright red eyes. Nicholas Wagner, 6, of the Chicago suburb of Downers Grove learned in kindergarten that about one in every million of the bugs has blue eyes. When the cicadas finally showed up, Nicholas was ready. And last Friday he spotted that one-in-a-million. His mother, Maria, said Nicholas shouted, "Mommy, I found a blue-eyed cicada!" *** Sorry, I personally didn't find any blue-eyed cicadas, but have more than enough of the red-eyed variety. Here's my collection: Aren't I cute?

1 comment:

Matt said...

I ever have something that's one in a million, I sure hope it's a lottery ticket, and not a bug.