Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Mourners terrified by rampaging ostrich

Its natural reaction would be to stick its head in the sand. But Edgar the ostrich is apparently oblivious to the fact that he is causing quite a flap - by terrorising a rural cemetery. The rhea bird - a member of the ostrich family - is believed to escape from the animal rescue centre where he lives by squeezing through a gap in the fence or an open gate. He then bounds half-a-mile along busy country roads to the cemetery in Lostwithiel, Cornwall. One 77-year-old resident said she had stopped visiting her husband's grave for fear of bumping into Edgar. "I'm simply too frightened - I wouldn't know what to do if I came face to face with it," she said. "I wouldn't have a chance if it tried to clip me with its feet - they have sharp talons you know."

1 comment:

Jan said...

I shouldn't laugh but you've got to admit this is friggin funny.