Thursday, April 10, 2008

Book review: Businesses for Pet Lovers

101 Best Businesses for Pet Lovers What You Need to Know about Starting and Succeeding in a Pet Business of Your Own is a great reference for anyone who loves pets and is thinking about turning that qualification into a means for making money. The money spent on pets has more than doubled since 1994, creating a multi-billion-dollar industry that is even more lucrative than the human toy industry. 101 Best Businesses for Pet Lovers lists a wide variety of moneymaking opportunities from something as simple as dog walking, to careers which require education and training such as pet grooming and pet masseuse. Authors Joseph Nigro and Nicholas Nigro are well qualified to write about this subject. Joseph began his entrepreneurial career with pet shops which he was eventually able to sell to the Petco Company in 1996 for $19.1 million. 101 Best Businesses for Pet Lovers interested me on a personal level because I am one of those people who turned my love of animals into a business - Internet Pet Supplies - Internet Pet Supplies has been selling pet treats and pet supplies on the Internet since 1998. i-pets.com does not have a physical store, we sell only on the internet. I started very cautiously, selling only a few items, mainly USA rawhide treats, and have increased the products carried because of customer feedback. I would recommend this book, it is well researched, well written, and offers some very imaginative ways of making money.

1 comment:

Amber said...

This sounds like a book I should read. Thanks for the tip! I have a friend starting a dog walking business and she might like to read it as well.

I noticed that most of your products at i-pets.com are rawhide chews or similar. I've often heard that rawhides and such are not safe for dogs because they clog the intestines. Do people ask you about this a lot? Have you heard similar? I'm interested in more information about it if you can point me in the right direction.