Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Let's hope turtle soup wasn't on the menu

About 60 newly hatched sea turtles lost their way during their ritual passage to the sea and marched into an Italian restaurant instead, a conservation worker said on Monday. The baby turtles -- which ended up under the tables of startled diners at the beachside restaurant -- were probably thrown off track and lured by the eatery's bright lights, said Antonio Colucci, who was called to help rescue the group. "They saw the artificial lights and took the wrong route," said Colucci, who works on a turtle monitoring project for the conservation group WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature). "The diners were at first quite curious and then someone alerted the coastal authorities." The stranded turtles, which had hatched on a beach in the southern Italian region of Calabria, were released into the sea. Photo: Paulo Siqueira / Reuters Source: Yahoo news

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I’m impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.
Mfpc.tv
Hubpages.com
Hothyipsmonitor.com