Monday, April 9, 2007

Indiana family saved by cat's meow

A cat that went berserk, jumping on its owners' bed and meowing wildly as carbon monoxide filled a home, may have helped save a couple and their son from death. Eric and Cathy Keesling said their 14-year-old cat, Winnie, played a crucial role in saving their lives March 24 after a gasoline-powered water pump in their basement caused a buildup of the odorless but deadly gas. About 1 a.m., the domestic shorthair began nudging Cathy's ear and meowing loudly. ''It was a crazy meow, almost like she was screaming,'' said Cathy. When she finally climbed from bed, she realized she was extremely nauseous and dizzy and couldn't awaken her husband. Because he had undergone neck surgery the previous day, she decided to call 911, but was so disoriented she had trouble dialing. Paramedics soon arrived and found the couple's 14-year-old son, Michael, lying unconscious on the floor near his bedroom. The Keeslings were taken from the home in oxygen masks and treated for carbon monoxide.

1 comment:

***Double_Oh_No*** said...

This is my aunt, uncle and cousin that were involved. It was quite scary, and I am so grateful for that little feline that saved their lives! Winnie now even has a cape with a big "W" on it.