Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Got fleas? Get the vacuum

Vacuum cleaners kill fleas just as well as any poison, surprised U.S. researchers found. They said a standard vacuum cleaner abuses the fleas so much it kills 96 percent of adult fleas and 100 percent of younger fleas. Glen Needham, associate professor of entomology at Ohio State University, suggested that the vacuum brushes wear away a waxy outer layer on insects called the cuticle. Without it, the fleas, larvae and pupae probably dry up and die, he said. The findings were so surprising that the researchers ran their experiment several times.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Great news. I seldom have fleas, but I have always put in new bags.

LOVED the Santa pictures. I won't have to put mine in costumes now.

Yarni Gras! said...

haha! I love that 'ran their experiement several times.' yep, I'd run over those wee nasties several times too!